On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Steve Sullivan wrote:

> For example, the Terminal "edit current profile" gui shows
> the Miriam font, but Miriam isn't listed by xfontsel or xlsfonts.

  There are two separate font systems, the X11 core font system and
the client-side system with Xft/fontconfig.  What you get with
xlsfonts/xfontsel is X11 core fonts.  'Terminal' in RedHat 9 uses the
client-side font system (Xft/fontconfig based).

You can make Miriam and other fonts available as X11 core fonts
with freetype/Xtt/type1 backends if they're of a type supported by them.

<http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/fonts.html> has all the gory details  about
XF86 font systems.  For (After) X-TT, see http://x-tt.sourceforge.jp/

  A lot of people believe that the client-side font system is the way to go
(although the core font system will be around for a long time to come) so
that you may consider writing your application with the client-side font
system (especially, if I18N - internationalization - is important
to your projects/programs). You may also want to take a look at
http://fontconfig.org and http://www.pango.org

  Jungshik