On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> Let me put this in a simple point form using a hypothetical example:
>
> Now, if I want to render character 51 of X inplace of the composite
> character 4001+4010, how should I proceed?  Is there a way to map
> unicode sequences to actual (physical) fonts.  Prefarably in the form:
>
> 4001,4010 -> X,51

  Your problem is not new and has been worked on for many years
by a number of people and today we have a few satisfactory solutions.

  You crossposted to a few lists I subscribed to. Although
I've already answered to you on gtk-i18n list, here I'm gonna
give you some URLs:

  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/specs/default.htm
  http://www.pango.org (and the source code of Pango
      available at http://cvs.gnome.org. Take a look at
      files in pango/modules/indic and pango/modules/thai. You can
      also take a look at the ICU source code)
  http://graphite.sil.org
  http://developer.apple.com/fonts/

  Jungshik