Hi Brett,
It is a wonderful thing that ISS is switching over to free software OS. Actually I am going to include this fact in a presentation for the usage of free software in business environments here in Bulgaria.
About your problems with the Adobe font:
XFree86 has a CVS server that encompasses a very long time period - you can check out all versions of Adobe's fonts dating back to the early 90's. More info here: http://www.xfree86.org/cvs/
The CVS repository is also exported in web so you can check it here http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/fonts
You can also get tar.gz releases of older version here:
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/2.1
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.6
You can also check the versions of Adobe's fonts included in X.org distributions - just read the licence carefully.
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/X.Org/
ftp://ftp.x.org/pub/
As far as I know, much though Abobe's fonts are not free, they can be used in your situation.
Still can you provide some more info about the format of the fonts, version of the font, etc.
I have a Solaris 7.0 distro at home and will check the versions included in it.
Please explain why you need the specific version of the font - because of the glyph shapes or the average width of the font or sth. else so we can provide a better answer.
Any way - best luck on your project:
Best regards:
al_shopov

I have a font dilemma and I was hoping that you could help me out. I am the Technical Lead for display software development for the International Space Station and we are currently changing our Operating System from Solaris 2.5 (I know that is old) to Redhat Linux 9.0. The problem is that our software is heavily dependent on the font and the Adobe Helvetica font distributed with Redhat 9.0 is not close enough to the Adobe Helvetica font on Solaris 2.5.

I know that Adobe donated a bunch of fonts to the Xfree86 project and was wondering if this included an "older" version of their Helvetica Font? Also, what is the legality of using the font from the Solaris package on a Redhat 9.0 distribution?

If you need anymore information, let me know.

Thanks,
        -Brett