Hello,

I found a bug in the fontrendering system of XFree 4.3.0.1 (and earlier) on
suse linux 9 as well as 8.2 systems (probably other systems as well).

The problem is that on different displays with different display resolutions
fonts seem to be rendered in a slightly wrong size. Of course I checked that
the DPI settings of the displays in question are correct for the monitors
attached.  To my knowledge a certain font (here: Thorndale and
Times-New-Roman) in a certain size should be displayed in exaclty the same
dimensions on any display that is correctly configured. This is not true at
the monent which has strange effects:

The effect of this bug is best visible in WYSIWYG applications like Staroffice
or Koffice. I noticed it this way myself writing a slide. I wrote it on my
linux desktop and then wanted to continue work on my linux laptop.  Suddenly
linebreaks occured at different points in the text allthough absolute
positioned graphics stayed exactly at the place they should be.  This can
lead to a completely different layout of the document when working on it an
another system. This happens in SO as well as in koffice so I don't think its
a bug of the applications.  Both displays are configured correctly as far as
their DPI (reported by xdpyinfo) is concerned. Finally I really measured the
displays size and calculated the DPI to ensure the values displayed by
xdpyinfo are right on both systems.

If you want to take a look at this effect look at the two images below
(2x40K). One is a screenshot of a StarOffice Document displayed on my
desktop, the other screenshot is from the very same document displayed but
not edited on my laptop. Please note the different textformatting due to the
bug and note the positions of absolutely placed graphics which remain the
same allthough it looks like they moved but its the text that mhas moved.

Desktop: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/xfree/xfreebug90x96dpi.jpg
Laptop: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/xfree/xfreebug124x124dpi.jpg

Any ideas?
Thanks Rainer
Rainer Krienke, Universitaet Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, Raum A022
Universitaetsstrasse 1, 56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49 261287 -1312, Fax: -1001312
Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Web: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Get my public PGP key: http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke/mypgp.html