There is a FOP servlet example in the distribution of FOP :

/docs/examples/embedding/FopServlet.java

I think it will answer all the beginners questions.
See the example section on the FOP site to see all pre-answered question
you might have in your beginning journey.
(starting with http://xml.apache.org/fop/embedding.html)

Cyril