Mark,

I think the first step would be to change the PDF generation code so that
it can write out as it goes to a stream (and also do what it does now).
This would most likely be done by writing out each page after completion.
It may also (I'm not sure) require different tracking of objects such as
XObjects for images.

>From there the changes required to the PDFRenderer itself should not be too
difficult.

The PDF spec should give your more information (and give you a headache or
two).