Hi Karen,

I have made some further investigation. I agree that this is probably
not specific to tables, but it is better observable on tables. When
using embedded TTF fonts, height of line is influenced also by font-
family attribute. If font-family is specified on table-row or cell (I
think it can be generalized to any block level object) height of line
is different from case when font-family is specified on inline level
object. So I made simple testing example. I made table with lines
having all possible combinations of place of specificatin of font-size
and font-family (at block level v. at inline level) resulting in four
table lines. Then I made more combinations using two different font-
sizes and two different font-families resulting in 16 line table.
Results of this experiment are attached. You can notice than every line
printed by Arial 18pt (the four bottom lines) has its own unique height
of line. So it maybe has something to do with usage of font metrics.

Petr

On 5 Aug 2001, at 0:16 Karen Lease wrote about Re: problems with height of cells i :

> Hi Petr,
>
> I've looked at this quickly and my first reaction is that it's probably
> not specific to tables. I think it has to do with line-height (aka
> leading in old typographic terms). Neither font-size nor line-height are
> specified at a high level in your .fo. The default font-size is 12pt and
> the default line-height 1.2 em (14.4pt). When you set font-size at the
> block level as in the last row, that will also change the line-height,
> since it's relative, so the total height is smaller. When you set
> font-size at the inline or wrapper, it apparently isn't changing
> line-height. I guess since line-height can be specified for both
> fo:ineline and fo:character (via the fo:wrapper), that the line-height
> should also be modified by setting font-size on those objects too.
>
> Good eye!

on thousand lines the difference makes several pages so it is quite
noticable

> Regards,
> Karen
>
> Petr Andrs wrote:
> >
> > Please see attached file. There is table with three lines, which all
> > should have equal height. But they haven't, the last one has lower
> > height than the other two. (Or the fist two have greater height than
> > the las one) I would expect all three lines to look something like the
> > last one, the first two are too high for my eye.
> >
> > Petr

emptest.fo

emptest.pdf