From: Karen Lease [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 5:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Performance and java 1.1

Keiron Liddle wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been doing some performance testing so we can get an idea of how
> things might be improving (or getting worse) with changes to the code.
[snip]
> So the question is: can we drop java 1.1 support and use better data
> structures?

Interesting results!
With java 1.4 just around the corner, I think we can and should "byte"
the bullet and stop trying to keep FOP compilable with Java 1.1. I know
there are a few loyal Fop users out there whose corporate structures are
still several versions behind. It's too bad for them, but FOP _is not_
legacy software and should be able to move quickly.

It's also hard for us to keep the code compatible since I suppose almost
all of us are developing on at least Java 1.2.
So +1 for me.

Karen