I've been following the progress of FOP since .15 and I'd like to say
that I really appreciate all the work everyone puts in.  My company produces
student administration software for k-12 schools and open-source projects
are the ideal way to put great technology in the hands of under-funded
school districts.

We currently use FOP in a servlet environment for doing pdf reporting (1 to
20 pages).  The memory consumption is a bit high, but we have had great
sucess and stability with our current usage.

Our IDEAL dream is to be able to batch print report cards and parent letters
using this technology.  This would involve taking the same simple fo
document and applying it 500-3000 times, depending on the number of
students.  We don't use anything fancy like page counting, or references to
other parts of the document.  As far as I can see, it should be possible to
format, render and stream out each page as it's completed. (Although this
probably breaks other aspects of the FO spec.)  If I am able to produce
documents like this in the near future, it will lock in Fop as a core part
of our technology architecture.

Is there any way to optimize my fo documents to make this possible?  I
remember seeing some benchmarks reaching thousands of pages by Mark
Lillywhite, but unfortunately my documents were unable to take advantage of
those enhancements.

Is anyone else currently working on something like this?

Thanks,

Dave Frankson