I work for a giant healthcare company, and it's still hard for me to
imagine how the data comes from --somewhere-- then is inserted into an
fo: document with no chance for any text manipulation. Not saying I
don't believe it, Id just love to hear the situation.

So what about some kind of quick n' dirty little extension to do the
work until linespace-treatment="preserve" is implemented. (Is it in the
plans to attempt to implement everything in the FO spec?) I haven't
started on my table-header with (Cont) extension yet, but when I do I'll
let the group know how it goes.