Hi Keiron,

I'm pretty sure all the various details are not quite correct, but I
agree that the best way to find out is to try to actually use it and
then we'll figure out what to change. I've started to think about the
character level, but I'm short on time for the next week. Also mulling
over the Property/Trait handling.

Concerning your question, it's one I've already thought about. I think
that yes, it should be possible to run the FO tree building and the
layout process in parallel. That's one of the reasons the layout is
designed to run in a thread. I think it can wait on the flow tree events
via the iterator over the children (in generateAreas). The iterator can
wait to see if there is a new child available. When an FO node is
completed its "end()" method gets invoked by the FOTreeBuilder. It can
then be marked as complete so the iterator will know when it's not worth
waiting for any more children to be added.
I think using that scheme, we can start layout as soon as the flow has
some block level child, even if that child is not yet finished. Of
course, some kinds of FO need to have more children before doing layout.
For example, it makes no sense to start laying out a table until at
least all the columns have been seen to calculate column widths.

Regards,
Karen