If all else fails: you could try to use the XSLT debugger from VBXML.com to
make sure
your XSLT proces is correct (i.e. you actually produce the FO
needed/wanted). Next,
simply call FOP and check the PDF.

You don't need to learn Java to use FOP (actually, I hardly know any java at
all). What
you do need to learn (with any programming language, be it Java or Perl ;-)
is programming.
How do I debug stuff? etc.

It pays of to learn how to program (even just a little) so you do not have
to rely on GUI interfaces
because most new technologies start with char based systems.

Just my $0.02,

Michiel