In the embedding example at xml.apache.org:

1) Driver driver = new Driver();
2) driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);
3) InputHandler inputHandler = new XSLTInputHandler(xmlFile,
xslFile);
4) XMLReader parser = inputHandler.getParser();
5) driver.setOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(outFile));
6) driver.render(parser, inputHandler.getInputSource());

The params xmlFile and xslFile must be filenames in line 3. In
the application I am writing, I must pass strings that I
receive from another part of the program. The security folks
will not allow me to store the string to disk. Is there a way
of calling FOP by passing two strings; one that contains the
XML and another that contains the XSL? At a minimum, being able
to pass the XML as a string is required.

TIA
Bob Kaufman

=====