Hi Ed,

> Could someone point me to an example of producing a dictionary or
> telephone book style page with fop?  I'd like to put the earliest
> name in the collating sequence that appears on the page on the left
> hand top and latest name in the collating sequece on the right hand
> top

There is an example that does this in the FO examples distributed with
FOP: it is called something like glossary.xml.  It is done using
markers.

The impression that I get is that markers are only partially
implemented by FOP.  If you want to do exactly what this example does
you'll be OK, but I've never got anything else using markers to work
satisfactorily.

Good luck,

--Phil.