On 2001.12.12 15:39 Ed Howland wrote:
> In researching this, I found the "Driver.setBufferFile(File buf)" method.
> I've
> set this, but it doesn't seem to work. There are no Javadocs on it. I've
> looked
> at the code but I don't think its being actively called by the renderer.
>
> Does anybody know the intent and design of this function? Do any
> developers
> know if it will be implemented soon?

This was not a full or solid solution and was disabled due to problems.

> FOP is great, but it requires way too much kid gloving when it comes to
> performance and memory utilization. I read a note a while back (2000 I
> think)
> that someone said they were trying to achieve 100% conformance with the
> spec
> before they addressed these issues. I might agree with that, but few web
> browsers were 100% compliant with W3C standards before they were used
> daily by
> 10s of millions of users. FOP is in a good enough state to be useful in
> production environments. Isn't it time to address the scalability aspects
> of
> FOP to meet those needs?
>
> I suggest that "out of the box" FOP needs to manage its own resources
> much
> better. XSLT is already a drain.

While that is true there are certain things you need to realise.
- there are serious layout issues that need to be addressed
- performance and memory is very much tied up to how the whole system
works, this makes it difficult to fix
- getting FOP to a stage where there is a clear development direction is
difficult
- none of this will happen by itself

It appears that more effort needs to be put towards communicating the
issues involved and the way in which FOP can be improved.

Yes it does need to be much better.