I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I would like to know
whether FOP can embed images at full resolution and with no additional
compression into PDF.

I need to make a printable photo-book output with a grid from
1,4,16,etc. digital camera pictures on various paper sizes. The
application will operate over a LAN, so large PDF output files aren't
too much of a concern.

Can PDF support these kinds of embedded images, and can FOP take a
1600x1200 JPEG and embed it at full quality and appropriate DPI?

Thanks.