Thank you for your response!

I was afraid you would say this.  :) I was hoping it might be a relatively
simple fix; I wonder if there isn't a kluge I can put in the existing
approach that would suffice for the heading/following paragraph problem...

So FOP is basically being redesigned/rewritten, eh? I wonder how far along
this is.