>With reference to the following, does anyone know whether one must replace
>every reference to str.getBytes(), or r there some selected ones we can do
>only?
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fop-dev&m=99587281428987&w=2
>

>This message contains information intended solely for the addressee,
>which is confidential or private in nature and subject to legal privilege.
>If you are not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use,
>disseminate, distribute or copy this message or any file attached to this
>message. Any such unauthorised use is prohibited and may be unlawful. If
>you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
>immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the
>original message from your machine.
>
>Furthermore, the information contained in this message, and any
>attachments thereto, is for information purposes only and may contain the
>personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the
>views and opinions of Dimension Data (South Africa) (Proprietary) Limited
>or is subsidiaries and associated companies ("Dimension Data"). Dimension
>Data therefore does not accept liability for any claims, loss or damages
>of whatsoever nature, arising as a result of the reliance on such
>information by anyone.
>
>Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and
>integrity of information transmitted electronically and to preserve the
>confidentiality thereof, Dimension Data accepts no liability or
>responsibility whatsoever if information or data is, for whatsoever
>reason, incorrect, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.

I am really only writing to refer you to the Stupid Disclaimers
page <URL: http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/ >,
as you changed 'are' to 'r' to save two 7-bit bytes!

The short answer is that this is a java problem.

I hope that FOP will not move away from 100% pure java
without very good reason. If adding the requested
encoding is machine/OS specific then should we encapsulate
this issue by deriving from String?

Either way, any change should be fully consistent
with FOPs internationalisation mechansims.

I would guess that the medium length answer is yes,
all of them & you might be better catching the
exception at an appropriate point and reporting it.

If you are not familar with encoding in java, then
you might want to look here
where encoding is mentioned in passing.

Ben.