I can't really tell from this example, but I know I ran into an issue
where I was trying to use a JSP page to generate either PDF or HTML. I
finally realized I was getting an error when the output was PDF which
was due to whitespace between the %><% tags. The JSP engine compiles
whitespace as System.out.println("   "), which naturally doesn't agree
with the byte array output stream Acrobat is expecting. I quickly
switched back to a servlet.

-Matt