On Thursday 14 March 2002 09:19, Keiron Liddle wrote:
>. . .
> Firstly the Area Tree is unavoidable. We must have a place to do the
> layout and to store the page information.
>. . .

Unavoidable for "Layout rendering", isn't it?
I thought structure-based rendering wouldn't need the area tree.

>. . .
> For the FOTree to structure document it is a different issue, that I
> hope we will solve one day. Maybe sax events could be used here.
>. . .

How hard would it be to render the FOTree in XSL-FO (based on SAX
events) with all possible attributes resolved?

Speaking specifically about the jfor RTF converter, this would allow it
to be used as a FOP renderer without needing as much code changes as an
API-based integration. Might be a little slower but much more flexible.

This would allow the parser and property resolver (is that the right
term?) components of FOP to be reused by jfor and future
structure-based renderers.

--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.