(as a guess I would say you haven't beed subscribed long enough :)

There was a notice of this a number of months ago. Admittedly we have it
the other way around. Maintenance releases are made from a branch. So the
main branch is where the active development is happening.

So where are we:
I am going to great lengths to describe how it all works so others will
have the knowledge to help out.
Many others are helping with ideas and requirements.
Not much code is getting done because people are busy and the issues are
complex (many of the side issues are being dealt with)
The maintenance branch is being updated for bugs etc.

I am hoping people will get to a point where they feel ready to jump in.

So what needs to be done:
Finish the implementation of the line layout
do the page layout
then do all fo's
handle other issues
then hopefully we will be ready for a developers release (version number
yet to be decided)