I have extensively-formatted, 1-4 page PDF Form documents that I would
like to insert text annotations, equivalent to user-side form filling,
but embedded directly in the original PDF.

Does FOP's API, or any combination of supporting tools, have the ability
to render/import a simple FO->PDF document consiting of text positioned
in absolute coordinates on the page, and overlay/merge it with a
background document that already exists in PDF.

If the simple document existed solely in an annotation layer or other
facilitiy PDF might have for markup, that would be fine.

I suppose this step is more a PDF manipulation feature than FO
rendering, but I thought this group was likely have addressed this
question at some time previously. Thanks.