----- Original Message -----
From: "J.Pietschmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: Character Encoding

> Holger Prause wrote:
> > I  use the character squence &#8722; in a html page it will be dispalyed
as
> > an - minus sign.
> >
> > So far so good.Now i want to use that chracter sequence in FO but in the
>                                             ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
> It is a "character reference"
Yes your are right.

> > generated pdf it will displayed as an # sign(which stands for undefined
?)

> This means the selected font does not have a glyph for it.

Ok i undestand that, its also written in the FOP Faq.

> > What can i do to display this character squence, changeing the encoding
in
> > the stylesheet(or using <xsl:output />)?
>
> The only way is to get a font with a glyph for it and let
> FOP use it. The "mathematical minus" is pretty esoteric,
> you'll probably need a special math font, rummage through
> implementations for MathML or TeX distributions.
> Why can't you usse a dash or hyphen?
What i wanted was a dash, but for some reasons i choosed the character
reference &#8722;  which is , like u already said,  a mathematical minus.
Now i use a the character reference  for dash , and i works fine with my
font.

Thx for the quick response,

Bye,

Holger