I have had some similar problem with one document : Some hyphenated text in
a cell that was on two rows (row span) : FOP warned me about some "I cannot
hyphenate!". I have not seen this with small documents (bellow 500 pages)
but with large ones FOP went on an infinite loop. I did exactly like
Hansuli Anderegg is telling you : tried to noarrow the problem by lowering
the FO size and hard testing the troubleshooting part.

I know it is not some "magic" method that will help you to solve your
problem in twelve seconds but this is the best we have.

You have to try with debug on.

Good luck.

Cyril