On 01.08.2002 23:09:32 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've replaced most of the JDK 1.0 containers by 1.2 containers
> in the maintenance branch, ready to commit. The PDF produced
> from FOP examples compares ok with PDF produced before the
> conversion. I might have screwed up other renderers, in
> particular the MIF renderer which required quite a bit more
> than a simple S&R. I might also have produced additional
> MT problems, even though I set FOPImageFactory to synchronized.
>
> As a side note, I made a script which intercepts GC notifications
> produced with -verbose:gc and computes total and peak memory.
> If this can be trusted, using 1.2 containers causes FOP to use
> 2% less total as well as peak memory. Run time performance is
> basically the same, apparently Java synchronization doesn't
> have much effect in a single-threaded environment.
>
> If there are no vetoes, I'll commit the change on 2002-08-02,
> 21:00 CEDST.

No veto from me.

> My plans for the near and not so near future:
> - vacancy: I'm offline until 2002-08-11
> - tracking down the zero width space problem
> - eleminating the instance data of FONode and as much
>    as possible data of FObj
> - create the "children" array on demand
> - resolve doc issues and commit the docs
> (take deep breath)

I'm looking forward to this one.

> - implement immutable, reused property bundles and leaner
>    property parsing
> - integrate image handling and the PDF renderer from head

I'm not so happy about this one. I know I'm also guilty of doing more
work for the maintenance branch than for the redesign, but "stealing"
code from the unfinished redesign for the maintenance branch seems to me
like starting to take its breath away. As Keiron pointed out we have to
somehow get the new ball rolling. We have to make the redesign
attractive so more people start helping there and so we can finish one
day. I intend to help in this direction during my holidays, especially
because I won't be able to do so at work at the moment. At work I'm at a
point where I can live with the current maintenance branch for a while.
But at some point I want to have a new FOP, one that really starts
flying.

I know the issues you want to handle are important, but I get the
impression that the maintenance branch starts to accelerate which is not
a good sign. The work would be better invested in the redesign IMO.
Flame on...

> - TR14, spec conformant whitespace handling, linefeed treatment,
>    wrapping and overflow="clip"
> - rearranging the Area inheritance tree (spaces don't have
>    a height, which is bad), eleminate as much as possible
>    unnecessarily inherited data for inline areas
> - correct lineheight computation and alignment.
> Should be enough work...
>
> J.Pietschmann

Jeremias Maerki