J.Pietschmann wrote:

> TR14 needs a table for certain character properties be present,
> which can be derived from the official database. We probably
> need such a table for other purposes too, for example writing
> direction and word separation. I fear an implementation which
> is not too heavyweight could be tricky, however, there is a
> report from the Unicode consortium which covers exactly this
> topic, I just hadn't had time to read it yet.

Some form of character properties database is essential.  Not only line
breaking but also bidi processing depend upon it.  In general, the only
knowledge we can assume about the characteristics of the text we are
processing is what is contained in the database.

Peter B. West  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"