You may have seen my CVS commit yesterday evening. I changed my name in
the author tag of fonts.xml. It now contains the proper UTF-8 encoding
of an a-umlaut (ä). I had no error messages from Forrest and the HTML
result looked correct.

  -      <person name="Jeremias Maerki" email=""/>
  +      <person name="Jeremias Märki" email=""/>

Thinking about it, the "ü" when literally embedded in a UTF-8 encoded
document should throw an error IMO. If I think about the implications of
having to use character references for text written in chinese, for
example....

On 02.12.2002 15:57:48 Keiron Liddle wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 15:49, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Keiron,
> >
> > is that really necessary? If proper UTF-8 encoding would be used (as
> > declared implicitly), these cryptic character references would not be
> > necessary, right?
>
> I kept getting errors with validation and conversion with cocoon.
> The error message where usually something like: unkown error.
> I don't know what is causing the problem.
>
> At least this works with forrest now.
>
> A normal character would be preferrable if the problems can be solved.
>
> > On 02.12.2002 15:34:04 keiron wrote:
> > >   -    über-class to accommodate everything that applies to
> > >   +    &#xFC;ber-class to accommodate everything that applies to

Jeremias Maerki