Response below.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Arved Sandstrom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent: Sat 12/14/2002 3:47 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: RE: Sun XSL Formatter

        >>Sure, in a narrow sense. Binary rather than source. In practical terms C is
        considerably more portable. Java is basically a Windows and MacOS X VM.<<

        Last I checked, it was more than that.  At a minimum, your list of OSes is a
tad bit small.  My company runs JBoss on an AS/400 running OS400, and one of my old
instant messengers has been reported to be running on OS/2.  And then there's things
like the KVM.  I'd like to see C so portable it goes straight from a Linux desktop and
compiles for a Palm without requiring a mountain of preprocessor directives.

        We could debate that. :-) I spend a lot of time every week dealing with Java
        NPEs.
        <<

        I'm not sure what your point is there.  I deal with null pointers in any
language with pointers.

        Seriously, you're right. Java is better for this. Writing good C requires a
        lot of background.
        <<

        Lesser men could take offense to that.  Especially if they weren't C
programmers already.

<<winmail.dat>>