Peter B. West wrote:

> At this stage, I would tend to think not of
> doing every possible layout, but of following
> the "optimum" values to perform initial layout,
> and then testing the result for "goodness".
> The minimum-maximum range provides the slack -
> within the context of the spec - for applying
> whatever other set of layout tuning algorithms
> that FOP implements.

If I remember correctly from the TeX source, TeX
does a similar thing: it just goes ahead, then rates
the quality of the layout in terms of "badness"
(do you realize that makes you an optimist and
Don Knuth a pessimist? 8-)). If the "badness" of
a paragraph is too large, TeX tries a different
layout.

This approach, however, should be quite difficult
for a FO render, as FO has more degrees of freedom
in layout (compared to TeX). So, somehow the
renderer must have a good "idea" which layout
alternatives are promising in terms of "badness"
or "goodness" and which are not.

--
Cappelino Informationstechnologie GmbH
Arnd Beißner