> Keiron Liddle wrote:
> > Then the question seems to be: is the default setup good enough for those
who
> > don't want to use avalon for configuration. Then how else should they present
the
> > information when avalon is precisely designed for the purpose.
> > If it is just setting some simple values, okay, but for example embedding fonts
is
> > more complex and there is no good reason to create our own data structures
just
> > for this.
> I don't know what to do. Do you?

No.

> Note that an XSLT transformer's output method configuration can also
> be fairly elaborate.
>
> > On other issue I forgot to mention is the caching, ie saving pages or other data
> > during processing. For example the org.apache.excalibur.store.Store
> > with the TRANSIENT_STORE using in cocoon.
> I don't think this kind of internals is exposed to the user.

It is part of the avalon service though that needs to come through the API.

> >>[resolver]
> > But then why do you need the base URL passed to the image resolver.
> > Isn't The base a property of the source resolver or image resolver not of the
> > current image.
> The base is in general a property of the document which references
> the image. It shouldn't change within a rendering run (which is
> different for XSLT processors where document() can change it).
> Still, the external-graphics src may be a relative URL, and
> somehow the base has to be passed down. I'm not fond of static
> data for this purpose.

Definitely no statics.
Are the resolvers being used for multiple renderings then. So the base cannot be
part of it. In which case I agree.
Still where will the base URL come from. It is likely to be supplied from an external
place/context anyway.

> > Why not just have createStructureHandler, where this could be a
LayoutHandler
> > with the given Renderer or a StructureRenderer. Not sure about the AWT
issue
> > though as that has different top level handling.
> I can't follow you. Would you please put your suggestion on the
> wiki page?

okay.

> > They all aventually go into a set of SAX events that are called onto the FOTree.
> > But that is a driving process rather than a getting.
> Im not sure what you are saying.
> I exposed two processing models
> 1. A model driven by the render() method of the processor. In a naive
>    implementation, the input source is cast successively into various
>    supported classes, a SAX source is used almost directly, a DOM source
>    is traversed and a stream source is parsed. Should work similar to
>    transformer.transform().
> 2. Use getContentHandler() to pipe the FO processor to something else
>   and drive it from over there, as in the half a zillion answers to
>   "how do I use a <non-file input> with XSLT with FOP?". This is more
>   similar to the TrAX TransformerHandler.
> Now that I think of it, we could also split this, instead of one
> class exposing both render() and getContentHandler(), we also could
> use a FOProcessor and a FOProcessorHandler.

That's how I understood it, just with "1." it is abstracting to a generic Source and
then immediately casting to an implementation. It just seems a bit unecessary. Sure
it is not a big deal.
I suppose the alternative is to have a different method for each source type which
isn't that much better.