Keiron Liddle wrote:
I'd say we can't keep something like that within our codebase because it
contradicts the Apache licence. It is entirely possible that someone
sells a product that uses FOP. That wouldn't violate the Apache licence
but the licence of this hyphenation file. Recent discussions on various
Apache mailing lists show that we shouldn't include anything in our
codebase that uses a licence that is not officially approved.

I agree.
Should probably take a look at it and if we cannot distribute then remove them. Maybe we could try to make them available in some other way.
A good call. In fact, if nothing else, we could supply a "ReadMe" or "Resources" file with links/URLs to the hyphenation files (and anything other useful add-ons for FOP, like jfor).

That leads me to wonder: Are there any other tools used in FOP with licensing or similar issues, for which there is cause for concern?

I wasn't aware that the hyphenation patterns had their own licences. So,
the obvious conclusion is that we need to check every one of these files
and remove the ones that are not compatible with the Apache licence.
That includes checking where the files came from.

Just for reference: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Licensing
--
Clay Leeds - [EMAIL PROTECTED]