I've just decided not to comment any detail point that has been
discussed ATM because I'm currently uneasy with the current process of
forming the new API. It's too much of a bottom-up approach IMO. I fear
that we're losing ourselves in some details when not even the high-level
stuff is decided.

I want to take it top-down:
1. top-level requirements (done, or does anyone have any additions?)
2. decide what kinds of APIs we're going to build. Only an Avalon-based
   one as the current Wiki suggests? Or an Avalon-based API targeted at
   the advanced user and a easy-to-use non-Avalon API as I suggested
   half a year ago? Shall we use Morphos as our Easy-API? Just questions
   that I'd like to have resolved before diving into details.
3. work out a detailed list of topics that need to be addressed (for
   example: different output formats: OutputStream, SAX events, AWT
   Graphics2D calls etc.)
4. Build up the API again based on the findings in 3 with the simple and
   essential things first (no image and font "resolvers" and similar),
   maybe even coding that part already to see if it might work. We can
   always change later. Let's stick to the fact that FOP is just a
   transformer/converter/morpher from a high-level view. Input in,
   output out. That's what the API should primarily be about. Things
   like resolvers are different concerns and have to do with the
   environment/configuration. This is to be separated IMO.

Flame me...

If not, please share your thoughts on point 2 now.

Jeremias Maerki