> Hi fellow Fop'ers,
>
> I've built a dynamic document generation system using FOP.  I'm currently
> using version 0.20.4.  The 2 supported output formats are PDF and ASCII
> text.  I know that the ASCII renderer was never meant to be production
> quality.  However, with some tweaking, I have been able to get out of it
> what I need.  I'm including an example text output file that was generated
> by my system using FOP.
>
> The main problem that I have found with the text output generation is the
> line-overwriting problem.  However, I have been able to fix this for the
> most part by adding extra space before the blocks where the overwriting
> occurs.  For example:
>
> change
>       <fo:block>Procedure Comment</fo:block>
>       <fo:block space-before="10.5pt">Procedure Comment</fo:block>
>
> often fixes the overwriting problem that may occur in a particular
> paragraph of text.
>
> Is there someone on this list who can explain to me why the overwriting
> problem occurs and if it's something that could be fixed?  I can volunteer
> to dig in and do it myself with just a little guidance.  Also, is the text
> output feature planned in the redesign?  I really hope so, because I think
> text is a valid output format.  Again, I can volunteer to work on that
> feature if it's not already in the plan.
>
> Here is the example text file.  Thanks, -Vincent
>
>  <<vreport.txt>>

<BOF>
<SendApp>DISCH2
<ReceivApp>DMCRES
<PNEvntNo>226050-5739286
<EvntCod>701
<EvntLngNm>CardioThoracic Surgery
<EvntShtNm>CardioThoracic Surgery
<EvntDT>19970721000000
<EvntChgDT>20030616140208
<HCtrSecID>CTSURG
<EvntRsltSt>P
<PriIntCod>275900
<PriIntLNm>Landolfo
<PriIntFNm>Kevin
<PriIntMNm>P
<PMRN>Z99999
<PLName>TESTPATIENT
<PFName>MARY
<PMName>TEST SR
<PAcctNo>023433
<ValueType>TX
<ObsrvIDCod>1
<ObsrvLngNm>Complete Report
<ObsrvShtNm>Complete Report
<BRPT>
The report in the patient record was created using another software database
   system. This electronic report represents the content but not the format
   of the original. For patient care use, please refer to the chart record.

DUMC
THORACIC SURGERY SERVICE
DURHAM, NC

Name:  TESTPATIENT, Sr, RN, MARY TEST PATIENT
MRN: Z99999 DOB:  08/04/1935
Referring provider: Cynthia Steinem, MD; Colvin, O Michael, MD; L J Pace,  MD
Referring Cardiologist: Victor S Behar, MD
Surgeon: Landolfo, Kevin P, MD
Procedure Date:  07/21/1997

Operative Note - Cardiac Surgery

MARY TEST PATIENT TESTPATIENT, Sr, RN is a 61 year old Hispanic female from
Hamilton, who was referred by Victor S Behar, MD from Durham, NC, L J Pace, MD
from Princeton, WV, Cynthia Steinem, MD from Raleigh, NC, Colvin, O Michael,
MD from Durham, NC.

Diagnosis - Non-Coronary
   Stenosis - aortic

Procedures
   CABG x 1
   Mitral valve replacement, Aortic valve replacement

Operative Personnel
   Surgeon:               Kevin P Landolfo, MD
   Anesthesiologist:      Bruce J Leone, MD
   Perfusionist:          Curtis L King
   Assisting MD:          Joseph M Forbess, MD
   Physician's Assistant: James T Marshall, PA-C

Clinical History
   Indication(s) for Operation - Coronary:  Failed  angioplasty, Congestive
      heart failure
   Valve Disease Etiology:  Calcific
   NYHA Class:  II - Sx with moderate exertion
   Left Ventricular Function:  Normal (EF>50%)
   Coronary Artery Disease Status:  No significant  CAD indicated
   Operative status:  Emergency - first available  room with hemodynamic
      instability

Closure Techniques
   Staples

Operative Procedure
   Patient location prior to procedure: Transferred from another facility
   Anesthetic:  No Medications Indicated
   Incision Type:   Median (Full) sternotomy
   Bypass graft(s) obtained:  Left mammary artery  - Endoscopic, Left radial
      artery - Open (incision), Homograft - Open (incision)
   Left ventricular status:
      Single scar sites - Antero-apical
      Multiple scars - Antero-apical
      LV aneurysm - Posterior, Antero-apical
      Previous repair
      Hypertrophy
      Dilation
      Ischemia
   Cannulation Sites:  Vena cava
   Chambers opened:  Aorta, Pulmonary artery, Right  atrium
   Hemodynamic difficulties pre-procedure:  Hypotension
   Number of proximal anastomoses prior to cross clamp:   2
   Number of proximal anastomoses during cross clamp:   3
   Minimum myocardial temperature:  37.10 (Degrees  C.)
   Minimum inflow temperature during cross-clamp:   38.00 (Degrees C.)
   Minimum nasopharyngeal temperature:  34.00 (Degrees  C.)
   Cardioplegia infusion:  Other
   Cardioplegia administration:  Antegrade - 1400  ml
   Topical cooling:  Slush

Aortic Occlusion Method
   Not used

VALVE MATRIX
   Valve        Description         Repair           Previous valve excised
   ------------ ------------------- ---------------  ----------------------
   1 Aortic     Stenotic, Calcified                  Native

   Valve        Valve inserted      Valve Left   Size (mm)     Suture
   ------------ ------------------- ------------ ------------  ------------
   1 Aortic     St. Jude                         19.0          2/0

   Valve        Technique                  Serial No.    Model No.
   ------------ -------------------------  ------------- -------------
   1 Aortic     Subannular pledgets        60344649

GRAFT MATRIX
   Coronary     Graft     Target Artery    Graft     Distal
   Artery       Source    Quality          Quality   Suture-Device
   ------------ --------- ---------------  --------- -------------------
   1 LIMA       Homograft Good             Good

   Coronary     Technique        End   Grafting      Proximal            Mean
   Artery       Run/Inter/                           Suture-Device       Flow
                Robotics
   ------------ ---------------  ----- ------------  ------------------- -----
   1 LIMA       Inter            END

Procedure Details
   Vessels >= 1.5mm (that are obstructed by >= 50%) not bypassed: SVG2
   Total volume of cardioplegia: 1400.00 ml
   Spontaneous defibrillations
   Number of proximal anastomoses after unclamping: 2
   Pacing wires placed: Atrial
   Total cross clamp time: 99 minutes
   Total cardiopulmonary bypass time: 131 minutes
   Number of times on Cross Clamp: 2
   Number of times on Pump: 2
   C.O. post-procedure: 3.40 L/min
   Assist device used: RVAD
   Rhythm post-procedure:   A paced for rate, Heart  block
   Pressure monitoring catheter(s):  Systemic arterial,  PA and CVP

Pharmacological support at Termination of CPB
   Medication          Dose             Route
   ------------------- ---------------- ---------
   DOPAMINE HCL        4 mcg/kg/min     iv

Coagulation Therapy
   No Medications Indicated

Blood products given in OR
   Medication
   --------------------
   FRESH FROZEN PLASMA
   PACKED RED CELLS
   PLATELETS

Anti-coagulation Therapy
   No Medications Indicated

Operative Results
   Hemostasis at time of closure:  Good
   Chest tubes inserted:  Anterior mediastinal
   Closure:  Routine (staples)
   Condition at transfer:  Stable