Victor Mote wrote:
I don't understand. The setOutputType() would be in the RenderType class,
which is one of the four classes that Driver would be split into. So there
might also be, for example, a setEncryptionKey() method to handle this. The
whole point of creating the three extra classes is to make the granularity
fine enough to properly control this kind of stuff. I'm sorry if I have
missed your point.

Could you outline your API ideas on the Wiki?

I think we are in agreement here, except that it looks like you are thinking
single Document, and I have added a mechanism (the Document class) that will
allow multiple Documents to be queued up and/or multithreaded.

I think processing multiple documents is a layer above processing a single source document.

I assume you are talking about trunk here. If so, my reasoning for trying to
get API resolved (or really Control, from my perspective) is so that I can
continue with getting the layout cleanly separated and pluggable,

Not a chance, pal. The interface between layout and rendering is much too complex, for example it includes the whole area tree mess. If it would be possible to plug the old layout into it, I would have done this a long time ago (rather: backporting the renderers to the maintenance branch). Don't forget that SVG plays a role too, and you can't have this feature broken because it's almost the only advantage we have over other FO processors now.

J.Pietschmann