On 7/1/2003 8:22 AM, Clay Leeds wrote:
This is just a guess, but perhaps you're running FOP headless (there's no monitor?). This FAQ might provide a workaround:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html#batik

I have a question or two about the "headless" FAQ. This's only mentioned in the Graphics/Batik section. However, the quote says:

===
Batik must be run in a graphical environment. It uses AWT classes for rendering SVG, which in turn require an X server on Unixish systems. If you run a server without X, or if you can't connect to the X server due to security restrictions or policies (a so-called "headless" environment), SVG rendering will fail.
===

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this means the "headless" problem is directly related to AWT, and because Batik "uses AWT classes for rendering SVG" it is also indirectly affected. Am I correct? If so, should the "headless" FAQ really be in an AWT section, and the Batik section provide a reference to the AWT headless issue, rather than the current way it's shown?

BTW, the FAQ shows the first workaround as:

===
If you are using JDK 1.4, start it with the -Djava.awt.headless=true command line option.
===

Is that supposed to be "-D java.awt.headless=true" ?

On a somewhat-related issue, since I tend to run FOP from the command line interface (CLI), I'm always interested in the arguments I can pass through via the CLI. I haven't seen the above CLI argument documented anywhere. What other CLI args are there which aren't documented in the "help" which is displayed if you don't pass FOP the correct args?
--
Clay Leeds - [EMAIL PROTECTED]