Clay Leeds wrote:

> hehehe.. That's what I was looking for (I _thought_ there was a link
> like that!). Only problem is, I scoured the FOP "Home" and
> "Development" tabs and couldn't find it. If I couldn't find it after
> searching (& searching & searching...), how's the average shmoe
> supposed to... wait a minute. I found the link. It's on the main FOP
> download page (not visible from the Dev tab). In addition, it doesn't
> indicate that it is fop-1.0DR1. I'd like to highlight the "SNAPSHOT"
> better to, among other things, properly identify the snapshots as being
> fop-1_0DR1 (or "HEAD", or "currently active FOP development branch" or
> whatever the darn thing is called).
>
> For example,
>
> CURRENT:
> * Download a CVS snapshot from the cvs files here. These snapshots are
>    built approximately every six hours, and have the GMT of their
>    creation time embedded in their names. Please note that CVS snapshots
>    are made only for the "redesign" branch.
>
> MODIFIED:
> * [b]FOP 1.0DR1 Snapshot[/b] - Download a CVS snapshot of FOP-1_0DR1
>    from the cvs files [a href=..]here[/a]. These snapshots are built
>    approximately every six hours, and have the GMT of their creation
>    time embedded in their names. Please note that CVS snapshots are
>    made only for the "redesign" branch.

+1 on the concept of bolding the text.
-1 on the name. There is no such thing as FOP 1.0DR1. It is a naming
convention only, and IMO, not a good one.

> BTW, IIRC it's been discussed on the list (ad nauseam) that the
> official "tag" name is HEAD, but frankly, I don't remember why so many
> terms appear to be synonymous. Unless I'm mistaken, the site refers to
> "HEAD" using the following other terms: "Redesign" (FOP=>Download),
> "FOP 1.0DR1" (FOP=>Status), "FOP-1.0Dev" (don't recall where this was).
>   Does it make sense to standardize on this and re-tag it in CVS? Should
> we also eradicate all other terms for it so visitors will know what to
> refer to? Obviously in the above "modified" paragraph "redesign" should
> be changed to whatever is decided.
>
> I'm not trying to be nit-picky here. I just don't want others to get
> confused as they try to figure this stuff out.

+1. This has crossed my mind many times, but so far I haven't made the
effort. This is partly because the hope has *always* been that we are just
around the corner from having only one development line again. Thank you for
volunteering :-)

I'll address the naming issue in my response to your subsequent post.

Victor Mote