Victor Mote wrote:
Same general concept, except I think there is a separate class for font
metrics in that system. If I can ever find a way to get to the physical file
(or some representation of it) through java.awt.Font (for embedding), we
would use it along with our other font scheme.

I believe we should just define a fop.Font interface which is the same as awt.Font, then provide implementations fop.AWTFont, fop.PDFFont (well all the variations), fop.Type1Font etc. A configurable selector (an Avalon selector) could selcet them. This way people could use AWT fonts without a hassle, with the small disadvantage that they can't be embedded.

Jeremias, as the resident font guru, what do you think?

J.Pietscmann