Glen Mazza wrote:
--- "Peter B. West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And now for a little digression on code generation. My own view of code generation by XSLT transformation can be summed up
as:

Why, Peter, you're in disagreement with everyone else
on this issue!  (So what else is new? ;)

Everyone else *here*, I think. I'm sure there are some others out there who agree with me. When they're released, we'll have a get-together.

* the canonical source is the Java code.
* transformations are a tool for developer
convenience.
* they should be used to generate files which are
then committed like any others.
* transformation is generally a one-off process,
only to be re-used in extremis.

BTW, what is a "one-off process"?

Needed once - for the initial generation of the Java source. From then on, required changes are minimal enough (or general enough) to be handled bu direct manipulation of the Java source.

* it is the developer's responsibility to ensure
that any re-generation does not lose patches to the previously generated
and committed source.

Peter -- Peter B. West <http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/resume.html>