I mentioned yesterday that I thought I had read a comment
by Bruce Eckel suggesting that String.intern() might be
avoided.

I could not find the reference in either the 2nd or 3rd editions
of "Thinking In Java".

A couple of observations from some research:

1) There were some problems in Java 1.1 and before.
2) There may be problems in non-Sun implementations (KAffe...)

3) There have been discussions in the SAX2 list and other
   places about using String.ntern() and I notice that
   interning is a feature of SAX2 that can be turned on.
   There is a lot of support for the technique and I suspect
   some of the objections are of the theological type.

4) The property strings in Peter West's code start life as
   string literals which are interned by the Java Language Spec.
   So they are all ready present in the table.

Some of the benefit of interning can be turned on in the parser.

--
John Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>