Code-completion works for me today as I simply run "ant codegen" and
include the build/gensrc directory in the list of source directories in
my IDE. That was one of the reasons why I changed the build to generate
the gensrc directory and why I moved the sources from src to src/java
for HEAD: To make it easier to build FOP within an IDE without the need
for running the Ant build every time, thus improving build speed a lot.

I'm indifferent whether you go forward with this or not. I personally
think it's unnecessary.

On 17.01.2004 02:05:05 Glen on bugzilla wrote:
> I'd like to have them retained, but put into (1) file, actually, just added to
> the Constants interface (as inner interfaces), say adding about 600 lines in
> that interface for them all.  (I can modify the XSLT code to accomplish that.)
> We get rid of those 45 files, and they will be no longer autogenerated with
> each build (but, as with the current Constants.java, we retain the XSLT to re-
> generate it when we like.)
>
> Reason why?  I *think*, over the long-term, it is much more programmer-friendly
> because many/most developers use IDE's with code-complete.  I.E., you type in
> the property value interface name, hit the ".", and then you automatically see
> the 5-7 values relevant for that property.  This saves the programmer the
> headache of looking at the spec each time for which prop values you need to
> code against, or trying to recall from a huge Constants list the actual values
> you need, and also making sure all the property options have been coded
> against.  I think it will be a nice sanity-saver for coders.  If not, we can
> always excise them later from Constants.java.
>
> Thoughts on this?

Jeremias Maerki