Indeed, last vote about 6-8 months ago was to
deprecate the @author tags, and that rule is still on
our web site.  We'll need a revote to allow them.  As
a committer, I personally have never bothered with
@author tags, but I do like how they show outside
developer and corporate contributions to our project.

The Batik team has some 1800 attributions of various
developers, Xalan checks in with about 650.  Cocoon
seems to use them as well.  (Those are the only
projects I've checked, I don't know how Jakarta is.)

After layout and properties are done--I would be
thrilled if some companies, liking our product, decide
to donate us specific renderers--maybe HP would have a
team do a PCL renderer for us, IBM another.  Or maybe
a bright small company wants to advertise its skills.
If they want to have their names on an @author tag,
that's a very cheap price for us to pay.

Before we put on a lawyer hat and declare that @author
tags threaten to take precedence over the Apache
license--let's take this issue to the ASF for
guidance.  (After all, they might have legal aspects,
and they have drawbacks in that they can get messy if
overused.)  As far as I can tell from the other
projects though, @author tags are still kosher.

Dirk-Willem, does Apache have any position on @author
tags or other author attributions in source files?
See below for examples.

Thanks,
Glen

[1]