(Off-topic: Finn, I don't think I have access to your d:-drive ;) )

> so it makes sense to find the same list of assignments in the layout
> managers.

Indeed it does, but I don't think Layout needs them all, neither does it
need them in their initial 'states' (don't really know what other word to
use for this...).

For instance:
<fo:block background-color="inherited-property-value(color)" ...>

The layout manager doesn't need _this_ value of the property, it needs the
actual ColorType (so I guess I basically agree with your comment about the
more abstract version).

<snip />
> Yeah, if it make sense to add more groups of properties together (and it
> seems that such a ipd,bpd pair make sense) I don't see a problem adding
> that.

I just think this will lead to an API that's a bit clearer, cleaner and so,
in the long run, easier to manage and maintain. I don't really know whether
the Common*Properties were separated out because they are, well, common, and
it's more efficient for them to be treated as a bundle. Maybe it was
originally the intention of creating property groups along the groups in
which they are divided in the spec (see
http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html)?
AFAICT the basic framework is already present to tie the
'propertyList.get(...)'-calls all together in the PropertyManager. If it is
decided at a later point that something needs to be added/modified WRT
Properties, this could avoid having to modify numerous corresponding
propertyList.get()-calls in all related FObj's / LM's / Areas. ( Referring
to the string->int conversion, and the hours Glen has spent to trace the
calls and replace the constant-names... )

> > Length ipd = aProps.ipd;
>
> Yes, except that it is a LengthRange property.

Ouch! My mistake :)

Cheers,

Andreas