Making these parts into separate components is in line with what I have
in mind when can talk about a shared repository between Batik and FOP. I
hope I can take a good look into what you did later. From a quick look,
however, I wasn't very pleased that you propose to use a lot of statics
in the "FontServer". I would prefer to have the possibility to define
multiple configurations in a heavy server environment without having to
go through the pains to separate multiple environments using classloader
magic. The system fonts are ok like this, of course, but not the
user-defined. Just my opinion.

Concerning the PDF library, I suggest you start from the PDF lib in CVS
HEAD instead of using the maintenance branch, even if it means that the
API may be a bit different. I've invested a considerable amount of time
to make the whole thing better. Things such as encryption are much more
cleanly solved.

When the XML Graphics project is set up I hope we can soon talk about
the details of my ideas. I'd love to have you with us to work on the
shared components.

On 13.07.2004 22:40:43 Victor Mote wrote:
> FOP Devs:
>
> I am pleased to announce the release of FOray 0.1 alpha 1. This release is
> only useful to FOP developers. Some useful information about the release can
> be found in these places:
> http://foray.sourceforge.net/module/font/index.html
> http://foray.sourceforge.net/module/font/release.html
> Since it is developers-only, I have not prepared any downloadable packages.
> You will need to use CVS to get the code. This is available here:
> http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=109663
>
> Probably the most efficient way to proceed is for Chris to do the initial
> evaluation work. I can support him off-line, and probably will need to add
> some doc as a result of his work. Then any others who wish to look at it
> will have an easier time.
>
> To cleanly get Fonts isolated, I had to isolate PDF, and to isolate PDF, I
> had to isolate Graphics. So there are actually three FOray modules at the
> moment (plus Common).
>
> Please remember that this release is a no-feature release, but is intended
> to address architectural issues only. The main purposes of the release are
> 1) to try to find out whether anything has broken, and 2) to get comments on
> the general design.
>
> Implied within FOray itself is a desire on my part to start getting code
> released again. I realize that there are several views of how best to get
> that done, and that FOray might be viewed as a distraction by some. If that
> is the prevailing view, and FOP has no desire to release this code under any
> circumstances, then you can save Chris a lot of trouble by reaffirming the
> status quo now. This will put the burden on FOray to start releasing
> essentially a competing product, which I am not eager to do. (This may
> happen eventually anyway if I have time to pursue the modular design that I
> think is important, but it is just as likely that a FOP 1.0 release will
> make such an effort unnecessary). As a "friend of FOP" I have opinions on
> what you should do, but my role here is different, and I will try to remain
> neutral, providing information when needed. I'm really just a guy trying to
> get some work done -- if it helps you, good; if not, that is OK too.
>
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
>
> Victor Mote

Jeremias Maerki