On Oct 20, 2004, at 11:32 AM, Simon Pepping wrote:
Clay,

I am a bit surprised. The docbook dtd clearly defines the entity
→ in iso-num.ent:
<!ENTITY rarr       "&#x2192;"> <!-- RIGHTWARDS DOUBLE ARROW -->
Why does not the forrest build see this? Does it not read the DTD?

I do not like character entities in decimal numbers. I can never
figure out what they refer to. IMO character codes should be given in
hexadecimal notation; all Unicode documentation uses this. Then it
becomes &#x2192; as shown above.

Regards, Simon

Changing &rarr; to &#x2192; is an acceptable solution. The xml-fop /forrest/ build does not error out when it tries to validate 'properties.xml'. I made the change and checked it in.

I'd also like to resolve the error in Forrest if possible, so the rest of this POST deals with that.

I suspect the problem is related to the fact that properties.xml references a dtd like this:

<!--
<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
                         "docbookx.dtd">
-->

A couple of things I note here:
1. It's commented out
2. this is a relative/local link, but the 'docbookx.dtd' is not local
(I also tried 'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd' and
'http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/' and as expected neither works.)
3. fwiw, iso-num.ent is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/ent/iso-num.ent

I'm not very 'up' on DocBook, so this may be how it's 'supposed' to work. Nevertheless, &rarr; is the only thing in 'properties.xml' that doesn't validate during the /forrest/ run (unless I replace &rarr; with &#8594; or &#x2192;).

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>