I'd rather we have pluggable LayoutManagers -- 1.0's
emphasis and I think our previous agreement with
Finn/Simon -- than have pluggable Area objects (where
much of layout used to be in 0.20.5.)  I'm not sure if
Fop can realistically handle both at this time.

As for complexity, in our LM's, with Tybor's proposed
change, instead of just:
curBlockArea = new Block();

we would now have:
curBlockArea = (Block) fobj.getUserAgent().
   getAreaFactory().create(Block.class, fobj, this);

instead of:
viewportBlockArea = new BlockViewport();

we would now have:
viewportBlockArea = (BlockViewport)
fobj.getUserAgent() .getAreaFactory().create
(BlockViewport.class, fobj, this);

over and over again.  The question here seems to be:
should we add this additional complexity to our system
*now* so Tybor doesn't need to rewrite code every week
he does a cvs update?  Or have him tolerate it until
1.0 is out (when presumably, he can rely on a
production release and not need to update every week.)

Personally speaking, I am much more amenable to adding
some complexity (LM Makers, for example, or opening up
our validation) if it helps out Finn's work, because
of the sheer weight of contributions he adds to Fop.
(We slow him down, we slow down Fop.)  Making these
changes for someone who isn't submitting
contributions, however, is less of a concern for me.
If a user is going to propose a change that would slow
down system development, we should be getting some
work to compensate for it, at least during this time
while we are still building the system.

My inclination is to have him place this patch in
Bugzilla, and let's wait until we have others
requesting it (vs. those who would rather have LM's
pluggable.)  In the meantime, I think it would be best
for everyone to keep layout as simple as we can until
it is done.  I am open to others' opinions however.

Glen