Victor Mote wrote:
Simon Pepping wrote:

Both markers are printed in blue. Perhaps it would be a solution to clone the subtree below the marker to retrieve-marker, and rebind that copy. That would be another example of layout dependent data in the FO tree. If every

There is a certain wry entertainment value in watching the wheel being re-invented. Before I arrived, this problem was known as "re-parenting". In my discussions of the issue, years after re-parenting was first discussed, there is even a diagram - shock, horror! - of the basic process proposed for Defoe (then the non-longer visible, but still present, Alt-design). Oh, I'm sorry, it involves re-thinking the building of the FO tree, using stream parsing. It does render the marker problem trivial, but so what. We have HEAD.

Finn's off scratching his head vigorously, having just realized that there is a fundamental flaw in the design wrt markers. It will be interesting to see what emerges.

Just by way of clarification, this is no doubt de facto true in the current FOP HEAD code, but, depending on the design, IMO it is not a necessity. Peter West and I discussed this some, probably around August of 2003. I thought at the time that a GraftingPoint interface which lived in the FOTree could be used to handle this concept without disrupting the independence of the FOTree. I am now of the opinion that the solution may be even simpler.

Couldn't agree more, Victor.

If you take the idea that the AreaTree is a "view" of the FOTree, so that
Areas essentially inherit and/or derive traits from their generated-by
FOTree nodes (instead of having bound values cached in them),

You can combine both ideas.

then the
solution may be as simple as using some redirects when static content is
involved.

Bingo!

This depends, in turn, on late binding (really, no binding) of the
property values,

...and again...

which does not appear to be possible with the current FOP
design.

...and again.

I am close to being able to demonstrate all of this within FOray,
but I am not sure whether I will get it done in time for the upcoming 0.2
release, although it will have an independent FOTree.

Thanks for pointing all of this out, Victor. It's nice to see some convergence on these ideas. Interesting that it must happen in Defoe and Foray.