Finn Bock wrote:

> Did you notice that if a FOTree (or a fragment of it) is
> serialized to a preorder sequential representation with end
> markers, the preorder, postorder and child events can be
> fired directly from the input stream?
>
> IOW the event based layout can work both of a normal
> parent/children linked tree and a sequential tree.

Hmmm. I must have totally misunderstood your original point, which I think
you expressed much better in your second paragraph above. I certainly didn't
mean to argue against event-based layout, which, in general, I support, but
rather against the idea that an FOTree node can necessarily be laid out when
it is first encountered. And I think I understand now why you have done the
massive propagation of properties -- am I correct in understanding that you
are essentially flattening the tree so that inheritance must be captured
before that flattening takes place? Or are you simply making that an option
now?

> > The bottom line is that, if you
> > conceivably need to see both the beginning and end of the input
> > simultaneously (which we do),
>
> I can see a need for several passes over the same tree
> fragment, but do we really need to see the beginning and the
> end at the same time?
>
> The auto table example appears to need 2 or 3 sequential
> passes over the table subtree (one to find the
> minimum/maximum column width and one to do the actual
> layout), but the layout process is still sequential.

Perhaps we have a semantical misunderstanding here. By "see", I mean that we
know what is in it, and a multiple-pass solution can accomplish that. I'm
sure I acknowledged that as one of the two possibly ways that I could think
of to accomplish the end.

Victor Mote