On 17.05.2005 22:54:31 Andreas L. Delmelle wrote:
> [...]

I second that!

> > At the moment the page breaking algorithm is quite "strict": it tries to
> > insert every footnote in the same page where their citation is (the last
> > footnote body could be split, and partially deferred to the next page).
>
> Well, that fits the largest part of the requirements...

I agree. More can be done later if necessary.

> > The recommendation seems to suggest that it could defer one or more
> > *whole* footnotes, if there is not enough space in the page where their
> > citations are, even if this is not very usual to happen in books; anyway,
> > this could be fixed later.
>
> Optimistic interpretation:
> I think that is meant to refer to the cases where a footnote citation
> appears in the last block on a page, so it is not necessary to move the
> whole block to the next page just because a few of its footnotes don't fit.
>
> <snip />
> > - is it correct to assume that the footnote separator is the same on each
> > page containing footnotes, or it could have some page-dependant content?
> > At the moment, its areas are obtained only once, and repeated in each page
> > where a footnote is inserted.
>
> AFAICT 'xsl-footnote-separator' is meant to be specified as the flow-name
> property on an fo:static-content, so in essence they are meant to be mostly
> the same for an entire fo:flow (~ fo:page-sequence), BUT...
>
> One thing I wonder about: Is it allowed to have sth like
>
> <fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-footnote-separator">
>   <fo:retrieve-marker .../>
> </fo:static-content>

AFAICS, this is perfectly legal. The spec says in 6.10.3:

"An fo:footnote is not permitted to have an fo:float, fo:footnote, or
fo:marker as a descendant.
Additionally, an fo:footnote is not permitted to have as a descendant an
fo:block-container that generates
an absolutely positioned area."

I've added a mean example (footnotes2.xml) that uses fo:page-number in
the separator. :-) Perfectly legal I think even though far-fetched.

BTW, am I really still the only one working with the testcases I started?
:-O

> In which case the content of the separator *would* be page-specific...?

Yep.