I've just had a closer look into the JEuclid project. There seems
absolutely no activity lately.

That's true

I'd recommend the following approach:

Contact the original authors and tell them that there is interest to do
some work on JEuclid, mainly to make it fit for use in FOP and to
address the additional requirements you and Vincent have. Try to work
with them to integrate the change you've already done within the JEuclid
project in SourceForge. Like this we can gauge if this project is really
good enough to be adopted into the ASF. If I can see that this is the
case I'll gladly help to get it into the Incubator if the JEuclid people
are willing to do that. Since I don't need MathML support myself and I'm
deep in other things I can't take the lead here. I can help where FOP
code is concerned but, at this stage, nothing more.

Lets do so.
We'll contact the authors and try to commit our code to source forge.

--
Siarhei Baidun