On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 03:46:31PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Sorry, but I have trouble understanding what you mean. Could you please
> elaborate with an example? Thanks.
>
> On 30.07.2005 13:54:25 Simon Pepping wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:40:25PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > > I was under the impression that the breaker automatically favors break
> > > decisions that take up less space. It even goes so far that if you have
> > > a minimum="0pt" and an optimum="2opt" on a space-before, that it
> > > currently chooses "0pt" which is not so good, actually.
> >
> > Penalties would help. If there were a penalty associated with the
> > break below 'B', then the break above it becomes more favourable. I do
> > not think the breaker could do that otherwise (without the newly
> > proposed rule).

If there were a penalty value associated with a break that makes the
table longer, e.g. 0.1 * w, then the following list would result:

 8) box w=9600
 9) penalty p=0 w=0
10) box w=28800
11) penalty p=0 w=0
12) box w=0             //<-- this is where the second row starts
13) penalty p=960 w=9600  //this penalty is due to the possible break after "B"
14) box w=28800
15) penalty p=0 w=0     //this is the next break poss after three lines
                        //due to the orphan setting
16) box w=28800

Now a break at 12 would have 960 demerits. A break at 10 would have 0
demerits, but because it would have less content on the page it would
have a larger stretch and that would itself associated demerits, say
500. Then the break at 10 would be selected.

In general, the table breaker may select breaks with a skew placement
of table contents, e.g.

    xxx  |

   ------|-----

        xxx' | yyy

over breaks with a more even placement of table contents, e.g.

    xxx  | yyy'

   ------|-----

        xxx' | yyy"

Such breaks are rather ugly. They also make the table considerably
longer. One can use the extra length of the table as a measure of
skew placement and thus of ugliness and of the penalty value
associated with this break. This makes that breaks with a skew
placement of content are disfavoured, and only selected when more
even breaks have lots of demerits themselves, due to other causes.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl